‘ROYAL SCOT’ : BR 46100
ROYAL SCOT CLASS : 4-6-0
Built in 1927, ‘Royal Scot’ was the flagship locomotive of the London, Midland and Scottish (LMS) Railway Company. She was the first in a new breed of steam locomotives capable of hauling heavy trains over the steep gradients found on the West Coast Route. The Royal Scot Class was used on the LMS’ fastest passenger services from London to Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow.
In 1933 ‘Royal Scot’ was selected to travel to the United States for the ‘Century of Progress’ exhibition. In order to send a newer engine, the LMS swapped ‘Royal Scot’s identity with the 52nd member of the class ‘The King’s Dragoon Guardsman’, built in 1930. The ‘new’ ‘Royal Scot’ was displayed in Chicago from May to November 1933, and also toured the USA and Canada, even crossing the Rocky Mountains.
She has spent most of her years since retirement in 1962 as a static exhibit, most notably at the Butlins holiday camp in Skegness after she was purchased by Billy Butlin. In September 2015 ‘Royal Scot’ truly returned to steam after a six year overhaul at LNWR Heritage and made her triumphant mainline return in February 2016 on a journey from Crewe to Holyhead. She is owned by the Royal Scot Locomotive and General Trust and is currently based at Crewe or out on the wider rail network.
Photo by: Bob Green