‘NUNNEY CASTLE’ : GWR 5029
CASTLE CLASS : 4-6-0
‘Nunney Castle’ was built in 1934 as one of 173 Castle Class locomotives built by the GWR. They were designed to be powerful, versatile locomotives, suitable for the great express trains such as the ‘Cornish Riviera Express’. She spent much of her working life based at Old Oak Common in London but also had spells at Worcester and further west into Devon. Towards the end of her life she operated out of Cardiff, travelling to London, Wales, Shrewsbury and Birmingham. In 1964 ‘Nunney Castle’ was retired by British Railways and sent to Barry Scrapyard in Wales.
She was first returned to steam at Didcot Railway Centre in 1990 and started to operate on the main line once again. In the late 1990’s she underwent another overhaul that saw the fitting of air brake equipment and changes to her tender to increase water capacity. In 2012 ‘Nunney Castle’ underwent an intermediate overhaul before enjoying a two year stint back on the main line. She is currently withdrawn from service and undergoing an overhaul.
Photo by: Inspiring Images